10.10.2010

Heading for Hong Kong

Hong Kong Sunset
Photo by Jay

December 26th at 12:40AM I will board a plane for an 18 hour plane ride to Hong Kong! I just bought my ticket. It was expensive.....

Why am I going to Hong Kong? T and I are going to see his brother Jay. Jay is a pilot and currently flies out of Hong Kong. He has been a pilot for a few years now and has lived in Puerto Rico, Chicago and Hawaii. I never visited him when he lived in Puerto Rico or Chicago. I always wish I had visited him when he lived in Chicago.

We see him once every two months or so when he flies to LAX. We were chatting on one of those trips and he told us we should come see him in Hong Kong this year because he has an amazing apartment and if we were going to come, this would be the year to do it.

T and I talked about it and decided to go. I am going for one week and T is going for his two week winter holiday.

Right after I purchased my ticket I started looking up things to do in Hong Kong. We will be staying with "a local" but I wanted to see if there was something I wanted to make sure to do.

I found a lot of good information on the web.

Hong Kong has it's own YouTube channel with some fun videos. Here is my favorite one about the food called Have Your Eaten Yet?


Time has an article called, Hong Kong: 10 Things to do in 24 Hours.

The Hong Kong Tourism Board has a pretty good site.

My favorite thing I found (so far) is the Discover Hong Kong Flickr Group. This photo site has great images of Hong Kong uploaded by everyday people.

I am excited to visit Hong Kong. It is one of those places (like so many) that was not high on my list of places to see, but an opportunity presented itself and I am on my way. The more I learn about it, the more interesting it becomes.

A few things on my list right now are:
Take a Dim Sum cooking class
See the "Big Buddha"
Do they have tea houses in Hong Kong? Maybe go to tea...
Check out the Markets!

What else? Any ideas of things to add to my list? I have one week to see Hong Kong....

1 comment:

  1. Yaaay, I'm so excited that you're going to Hong Kong! Your to do list sounds great. J and A won't let you leave without going up the Peak for great views. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for the clearest day that week. I really liked randomly walking around town. As for shopping, you should check out Muji, the Japanese "no label" home goods brand. They're all over Paris too though so you may have seen them before. They sell the best colorful gel pens anywhere; I have some from 10 years ago that still work!

    ReplyDelete