1.09.2011

Confession of a food lover missing Hong Kong....

Missing HK
Dear Blog,

I have a confession to make.

I couldn't eat the food on the airplane home from Hong Kong. All I could do was think about the noodle soup I had for breakfast. I did not want to ruin the memory with airplane food....

But it gets worse.

When I got home I had a hard time thinking of a restaurant GOOD enough to eat at after Hong Kong. I am surrounded by great restaurants but all of a sudden they seemed... just okay.

I even had a hard time deciding what to cook because I didn't want to let the food of Hong Kong fade from my memory. T and I found ourselves wandering the asian food isles at the grocery store looking for something amazing. We didn't find it.

I was at a bit of a loss on this one. I have traveled around the world and never had this experience before. I have been thinking about it and I think I know why I am having these food withdrawals.

Hong Kong is an international city so there is a lot of different kinds of food. The palate never gets bored there. In addition, Hong Kong is on the other side of the world and offers a lot of different spices and food combinations I don't eat in the United States. I think this is why I was having food withdrawals. In all the other countries I have traveled to the food combinations have been familiar and I have been able to repeat them when I got home. In Hong Kong a lot of the food combinations were unknown to me. They were exciting and I knew I would have a hard time duplicating them. I don't know if you remember how I wanted to go to cooking school while I was in Hong Kong? Well we looked around but the week I was there was the week after Christmas and we didn't find one that was open. I think this would have helped me.

What to do, what to do?

I have a few ideas:
Try to cook some Dim Sum. That seems to be the thing I want the most.
Find a good Dim Sum place and eat there.
Find a good Dim Sum place that has a cooking school.
Go back to Hong Kong.

I am leaning toward going back to Hong Kong. Then I can eat my way through the city..... again.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I think you should go back to Hong Kong, too!

    I have a good dim sum cookbook that you could borrow if you'd like. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete