9.25.2011

Airstream Trip: Cherry Lake


From Four Jefferies (see here if you missed that adventure) T, Samson and I headed North to meet friends at Cherry Lake. We decided to cut through Yosemite and go up Tiago Pass. It was slow going in the Airstream but we made it to the top and entered Yosemite National Park.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I am a native Californian who had never visited Yosemite. Stunning is too weak of a word to describe what we saw as we crossed the upper north side of the park. The granite rock mountains, pine trees, and water were incredible and we didn't even make it to the valley where all the REALLY amazing stuff was. T and I looked at each other and said "we have to come back", "how have we missed this", "this place is amazing". Even "Yosemite Samson" (below) enjoyed the park and sat up in the truck looking around the whole time.

We arrived just outside Cherry Lake where we dry-camped with some friends of T's. For years these friends have been telling us about Cherry Lake and it finally worked out we could make it. They water ski and bring a boat. Most of the days involve hanging out at the lake water skiing, kayaking, hiking, fishing, or napping. Evening are spent around the campfire eating and laughing.

We spent three days at Cherry Lake and my body started to enjoy a slowed down version of life on this camping trip. Each day I found myself dozing at the lake in the sun, hiking with the group of dogs that belonged to the other campers, eating delicious food, and curling up for bed content and relaxed. It was a great trip and T and I were bummed to leave and head back to our grown-up lives. Here are a few pictures from the trip.
Base Camp

T making Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos


Fishing and Hiking

Day dreaming at the lake

The drive home took us about 13 hours and there was a definite sense of loss as we sat in LA traffic. The Sierra Nevada had slowly seeped into our souls and we were sad to leave it behind. I have to remind myself sometimes how lucky I am to live in California. It is a place that takes my breath away again and again. And I'm sure it is only going to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment