1.23.2012

Year of the Dragon: Goals


It's that time of the year again! It's Chinese New Year and time for me to commit to some new year goals. Here are some goals from the past few Chinese New Years:
Year of the Rabbit: Goals
Year of the Tiger: Goals
1000 mile challenge

If you have been reading for awhile, you know I theme my years to kind of have a focus. This started with the Little Sister in 2006 when she decided it was going to be "Year of the Awesome!". My themes for the years have not been as cool but they have been meaningful to me. I was having a hard time coming up with a theme for the Year of the Dragon and finally settled on a topic that kept popping up in my head; "....it's all in the details".

I'm not sure why this topic is so important to me right now. It might be because I have a lot of projects (home and work) that are mostly done and functional but would be much better if they were 100% complete. I have a lot of projects like that at work right now and decided I am going to finish each one of them this semester. I am not taking on anything new until I complete everything on my plate.

At home I notice I have projects that are almost complete too. The ones at home are a little different because I work on these with T and he is not someone who can be scheduled very well. It can be frustrating.....

With all these thoughts I move into the Chinese New Year. I have been procrastinating on writing this post because I have decided to address the details for completing my goals. When you put something in writing in changes how much of a commitment you have to yourself and anyone else who sees it. I guess I am getting serious about this detail stuff.

Goals for (2012) Year of the Dragon:

Food photo shoot once a month:
The Little Sister and I have decided to cook and photograph food once a month in honor of Donna Hay. This is good for me because I want to get better at photographing food and it gives me time to spend with my sister. We already did this in January and you can see it here.

Lose 5 pounds a month until I complete the 25 pound challenge.
Do you remember the 25 pound challenge with my Dad? How sad that it was two years ago and neither one of us made it. It has kind of become a family joke but I decided it is time for me to win that bet. Here is what I am going to do:

1) Exercise everyday. (I have to tell you that was a little hard to put in writing....) So yes.... exercise everyday. I have been exercising 4-5 days a week since the new year and realize I need to step it up. After completing the P90X (that's right! I am a P90X grad!!!!!) I proceeded to go to Tahoe and barely exercise. Now I find I workout on the days I go to work but slack on the weekends. No longer. Everyday I will do something active.

2) Control my eating. Count my calories. Steer clear of sugar, wheat, and dairy. That really hurt to put in writing. Even though I have been doing this all of January, it seems really extreme in type. Extreme, but needed. Exercise is great because it keeps the body strong and active but food is what fuels the body and keeps it clean. And what keeps it fat. Time for me to really start paying attention to what I choose to eat. I have been using the iPhone LoseIt! app to track my calories and exercise and really like it. So far I have lost seven pounds since coming back from the holidays using this app. Pretty cool.

3) Weigh myself often. Nothing like a good slap from the scale to re-align my goals.

4) Have monthly updates to keep myself motivated to keep going.

Run 5 miles in an hour.
I am shaking my head right now. I remember when the Middle Sister and I had a goal to run 6 miles in an hour. Guess I slowed WAY down last year. No problem. This year I will work up to 5 miles in an hour again. I will do this by once a week logging an hour of running and working with my time results to get back up to 5 miles. When I get to 5 miles, I will do my two mid-week runs at this pace and up my milage on the weekend runs. I am defiantly the tortoise but I can get back to 5 miles in an hour.

Complete Rosetta Stone: Italian
I have the Rosetta Stone for Italian. I never get past the first section. I am deciding to do something about that. I am going to complete the Rosetta Stone for Italian this year. Five days a week I am going to work on the Rosetta Stone for 15 minutes each night. This seems doable but I know it will be a struggle.

And there you have it. My goals and strategies for the Year of the Dragon. I can do it. Especially if I pay attention to the details.....

No comments:

Post a Comment