2.04.2012

Life gave me lemons....

Actually my mom gave me lemons off her amazing tree that she tried to kill by cutting it to the ground, but it came back and my sisters and I reap the rewards!

LEMONS, Lemons, lemons.... I currently have a lot of lemons.....

It crossed my mind that I should do something with all these lemons so I turned to the internet to look up some recipes. Wouldn't you know it, most of the lemon recipes I came across where dessert recipes. Seeing as I am still doing the no dairy, wheat, and sugar thing (for the most part) I didn't feel the urge to tempt myself with a collection of lemon desserts just waiting for me to eat them.

I did come across two pasta recipes that looked good. With the "no wheat" thing, I might make the Meyer Lemon Spaghetti with Asparagus from Jenna at EatLiveRun with gluten free pasta and save the Smitten Kitchen Spaghetti with Lemon and Olive Oil [Spaghetti al Limone] for another day. Both look great and I can't wait to try them.

In the back of my head I was thinking about making Lemon Marmalade, but was not sure what I would find. A little internet surfing later I came across a blog called Food in Jars. My search brought me to the Honey Lemon Marmalade recipe, but I ended up staying there for an hour checking out all the different recipes she had. Heaven!

I don't consider myself a canner, but I do make and can things a few times a year. I blogged about Orange & Vanilla Marmalade here and Pomegranate Jelly here. I even made a jam with figs this summer that was incredible.

Bottom line. I love to preserve things. I love the idea of farm-to-table-to-cupboard. When I was very young my father turned our suburban backyard into an amazing garden and my mom learned to can. I remember the walls of the garage being stacked with the fruits of their labor. That blog, Food in Jars, brought me back to that time. It inspired and encouraged me to try new things.

With all the lemons I have I am going to try the Honey Lemon Marmalade recipe. Then I am going to learn more about canning and see what else I can do!

If I still have lemons I might try Lemon Sponge Pudding and make some Lemon Syrup...
Lemon Honey Marmalade
UPDATE: I made the Lemon Honey Marmalade and have farmed out some jars to friends and family to see what they think. I am in the middle of the road on this one and think I might make Lemon Curd next time. I guess I will see what others say.....

No comments:

Post a Comment