5.29.2012

Ireland: Doolin - Cliffs of Moher - Doolin

Day 5 the sisters and I were up "early" to see the Cliffs of Moher. "Early" in this case means we were on our way at 9:30 a.m.. So far it does not appear the Irish are early risers. The shops open between 9-10 and close between 5-6. It is not uncommon to see a note on a door at a shop that might say "back in a while". I am all for "when in Rome do as the Romans do" but this did take a little getting used to. Even at the B&Bs, the proprietors seem a little less talkative first thing in the morning. It could be that the sun is setting so late right now (about 10 p.m.) and the sun seems to be rising at 4 a.m.. With the great weather Ireland has been having, everyone is trying to take in as much as they can of it in the evenings.

At 9:30 we were on our way to the Cliffs of Moher. They are about a 10 minute drive from Doolin and we beat the crowds. Here we are near the visitors center with the Cliffs in the background.



We decided to do the walk / hike to Hag's Head as it was such a nice day. The hike ended up being a little over 6 miles and the sisters both got sunburns on the hike. Everyone seemed to be getting sunburns and we started calling them "Irish Tans". Here are a few pictures from the hike:



Hag's Head: Moher Tower


That evening I had my best pub experience to date in Ireland. We ended up at Fitz's, just across the way from our B&B. They had live music and the food was pretty good. We made friends with the people sitting next to us from New Zealand and got to see two diffrent groups perform. Our waiter Martin was pretty fun when he said I was too expensive to be a wife when I ordered a lot of food.

All in all Doolin was a great place to stay and I am glad we spent two nights there. I got to catch my breath, catch up on my sleep, and experience a little of the pub scene everyone talks about. I even bought a CD from the band!



No comments:

Post a Comment