11.25.2012

Pomegranate Jelly: 2012

As a child my sisters and I made pomegranate jelly with my Mom for holiday gifts.  As an adult I thought I had escaped the joys of pomegranate jelly until one of my sisters decided we should start doing it again in 2010.  You can read about that adventure here.  Pomegranate Jelly has now been holding strong for three years and here are some photos from Pomegranate Jelly 2012.

The Middle Sister is the muscle behind all the pomegranate juice.


The pomegranates from my Mom's tree are the best I have ever tasted.  The seeds are amazing and worth all the work to free them from the pomegranate.  The seeds are so sweet I suggested we cut back on the sugar in the jelly this year.  We ended up making three different batches for a total yield of 37 jars!

The Little Sister getting a pomegranate facial from all the steam!

One of the batches.

The labels the Little Sister design for my Mom with her Tree to Table idea.
Six hours of jelly making is a long day, but my Mom started us off with breakfast and made one of the family meals we grew up on for lunch.  It is great to have four people working on the jelly or it might have taken all weekend.  I am waiting to see how the lower sugar experiment worked out.  One of the batches might have to be given away as pomegranate sauce..... but I am totally fine with that!

Happy Holidays!
-elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment