12.09.2012

Holy Whole 30!

How should I start this story.....?  Let's start last Sunday night.

I had just returned from my backpacking adventure in San Jacinto and was excited to sleep in a warm BED next to T.  I was almost asleep (I am lucky to be one of those people who falls asleep within 5 minutes of going to bed) when T started talking to me.  It is typical of him to start talking to me

  1. When I am almost asleep 
  2. When I am sleeping and he wakes me up 
  3. When I am sleeping and he doesn't wake me up, but apparently I talk back to him.  

Typical.  Lucky for me I was in Stage one when T talked to me and he started talking about a book he was reading called "It starts with food".  This book advocates a 30 day body reset by changing what you eat.  He asked me if I wanted to do it with him for the next 30 day and I said sure and went to sleep.

Holy Whole 30! Guess what I signed up for? Paleo eating through January 2nd.  What does this mean? Yes to meat, vegetables, and fruit.  No to everything else.

Everything else.

All those other food groups.... like wine.  See you later wine, we can hang in 30 days.

And everything else, but you know what, it's not that big of a deal.  It is only for 30 days.  Granted those days are through the holidays, but I'm not worried about it.  I just think it must be how my Middle Sister feels being a vegetarian.  I just have to navigate food a little differently.

T mentioned it was a bad time to start anything like this, but I started it for him.  He has been feeling off for the last few months.  So off that he has gone to the doctor.  This from the guy who avoids doctors for the most part.  The doctor couldn't find anything wrong. Meanwhile someone at work had been talking to him about all these different books about food and health.  I guess this is the one that stuck.  So I started the Whole 30 because it is much easier to control what you eat when you are doing it with a loved one.  I joined T's Whole30 team.

One week into the program, I don't have much to report EXCEPT that T has started cooking way more.  This semester I had a pretty crazy schedule that included early mornings and late nights (one working and two for Italian class) and I got to come home to T cooking dinner this week.  I would give up wine just to have that (well maybe). He has been finding all these paleo recipes and keeps trying new things.  Awesome!

T has reported sleeping better and not having the mid-afternoon slump he has had in the past.  He also said he has more energy and better focus at work.  Those all seem like really good things.

So for the next few weeks we are doing the Whole 30.   We will make it even though it is Christmas, because it is just 30 days and it's not that hard to do something for 30 days.

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment