12.17.2012

Scenes from Solvang

This past weekend the Middle Sister organized a wine tasting trip in the Santa Ynez valley with some co-workers and the Little Sister and I joined them on Saturday.  You might remember from last week that T and I are doing the Whole30 and wine is not on the list of things I can eat.  Sigh.... but I had a good time seeing Solvang and the surrounding wine country.
The Little Sister and I drove up early and then started walking around Solvang when we couldn't get a hold of the Middle Sister (her phone was on silent).  I have been to Solvang a few times, but the Little Sister never remembered going there and she loved it.  She does want to go to Copenhagen eventually and this Americanized version of a dutch town charmed her.  It is charming. And fun to walk around.  Which is what we did.  The weather was cold and crisp with a bright blue sky.  We walked a bit and the Middle Sister called.  We met her at the Fudge shop (my sisters have a thing for fudge), and then headed on our way.
The Middle Sister and her co-workers had a few wineries they wanted to try so we headed out to Foxen Canyon.  The sun hid early in the day and the weather turned cold.  We all had jackets and we wore them!  On a recommendation, we stopped in at Demetria and it ended up being my favorite stop of the day.
For dinner we went to a place called Full of Life Flatbread in Los Alamos.  Apparently this place makes flatbread pizzas for places like Whole Foods and opens up a space in their building a few nights a week to make it a restaurant.  Fun!  The only down side was that there was not a lot I could eat.  I ended up having two salads and the kale one was great!
The next morning the sisters and I seemed to be up before everyone else, so we explored a sleepy Solvang and they tried some ebelskiver (dutch pancakes?).  They said they were good.  They sure looked good!
After breakfast we wandered around the town watching the storm clouds over the windmills.
We met up with the rest of the group and stopped in Los Olivos before heading home.  
It was a great weekend and I am glad I got to go.  The sisters and I agree,  we need to take more trips like this! ...... and next time...... I hope to try some of the wine.....

UPDATED:
The little sister wrote about our trip and you can read it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment