5.13.2013

2 nights in the Bay Area

Last weekend Library AC (not to be confused with Russia AC) and I took a weekend trip to San Francisco.  Library AC's sister lived up there and she had asked me last semester if I wanted to take a trip with her to San Francisco for the weekend?  At the time I gave her a bit of a hard time and asked if she was sure she wanted to extend our relationship boundaries that far out of "work".  She said she was willing to risk it! and four months later we made it to San Francisco.
Library AC is one of my favorite people at work.  When I was first hired she was assigned as my "mentor" and we always kind of laughed about that.  Not that she wasn't a good mentor, because she was, but because I would ask her questions about policies or places at work and she wouldn't know the answer.  I would joke that was going into the "mentor review" and then drag her with me to find the answer.  We shared an office for three years and in our current seprate offices we have a joke that we are going to drill through the wall to "share" an office again.  As a co-worker she helps me be better at my job and is someone I always approach with new ideas to get her feedback.  I really enjoy working with her.  I was looking forward to spending a weekend is the bay area with her and getting to meet her sister.

We flew into SFO on Friday night and AC's sister and her friend A picked us up.  A works at a hotel called the Club Quarters and he got us the friends and family discount for the weekend.  Score.  Our plane had been delayed so we got into the city at about 9pm.  After checking in we walked to a place called the Globe, a few blocks away for a late (for me late) dinner.  The place was smallish (typical city resururant) and a little loud, but they served dinner late and that was why we were there.  AC's sister was nice and A was fun and we had a nice dinner together.  I really linked the salumi pizza with a fryed egg on it!

The next morning AC and I got moving around 8am and walked down to the Ferry Building that was a few blocks away.  There is a Farmer's Market behind the Ferry Building on Saturdays and I wanted to check it out.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day in San Francisco!  The sun was out and I wore a T-shirt and sandals all day.  The Farmer's Market had a lot of food stands and AC and I split a Kimchi and Guinea Fowl Sausage Sandwich.  The kimchi was in the sausage and it was topped with chicharrones.  Yum!  AC also got tempora asparagus and 5 raw oysters.  I joked that we would have to take pictures of everything she was eating because it looked like she might out eat me! Not an easy thing to do....
From the Ferry Building we walked to Fisherman's Wharf and had an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista and then we were picked up by AC's sister, A and a new friend Mshell.  Our plan for the day was to check out the Spring Open Studios at Hunters Point Shipyard.
AC is an art buyer and I didn't realize that until this weekend.  It should have clicked before because she always goes to the student art shows and has art in her office, but it didn't click until this weekend.  She found a few pieces she liked and I think inspired the San Francisco group because they all left with art! That evening we had dinner at Lolo and it was fun to eat in the city. AC wore a pedomitor that day and we walked over 8 miles!

Sunday we started at the Alameda Flea Market.  It was HUGE!  The weather was fickle that day.  Starting with cold and overcast.  Then rain and eventually sun so sunny I might have gotten sunburned....  The flea market was very cool but we only made it through half of it.  I would love to go again!
Next we went to a former landfill that is now a "park".  I know..... Anyhow, there were supposed to be some scultures on the beach so we set out to find them.  It was  bit of an adventure that included traveling through a homeless camp, AC and A getting chased by a big dog, and eventually we made it to the Albany Bulb scultptures.  They were pretty fantastic and made out of driftwood and dibree.  My favorite sculpture is the one below called the Water Lady.

From here we went to Berkeley and saw a cool plant store, stopped in at a french bakery, and then made our way back to the city where we dropped off A and Mshell and then had dinner at a Chinese pop up in the Mission District called Mission Chinese.  EXCELLENT.  The best meal I had all weekend.  And then we were heading for the airport and back home.

It was a whirl wind weekend and it made me think I need to do this more often!  Where to next?

No comments:

Post a Comment