8.18.2013

Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

The first time I ever had pasta carbonara was when I was living on Bainbridge Island (across from Seattle) in 2000. It was during the winter and I remember my Uncle G (Happy Birthday Uncle G!) making it for dinner. T jokes that I went to "cooking school" when I lived on Bainbridge because I was always cooking with my Aunt and Uncle. We made all kinds of things I had never had before and cooking with them helped me think outside the cooking box I had put myself in. I worked on an oyster farm when I lived there and my first oyster was right out of the water! The cuisine of the pacific northwest was delicious and my Aunt and Uncle made it come alive for me.

With that being said, I don't think Pasta Carbonara was a regional speciality, but it was something my Uncle made that I had never had before. In case you are not familiar with Pasta Carbonara, in it's simplest form it is pasta that has been cooked and as soon as you remove it from the boiling water you dump scrambled raw eggs into the pasta. The heat of the pasta cooks the eggs as they coat the pasta. I have had a lot of versions of pasta carbonara over the years. Most have bacon in them. Some have peas. Some are made with cream as well as eggs but all of them have lots of cracked black pepper! It's pretty good.

Which brings me to Spaghetti Squash Carbonara. This dish wasn't planned. It came about as I was cooking food for the week. I am back to work and trying to plan out my meals. As I am home later most nights I prep a lot of food that I'm able to throw together quickly for a great dinner. I had taken stock of the almost empty refrigerator and decided to try to use everything I had in it. I was steaming bok choy, roasting spaghetti squash, baking bacon, hard boiling some eggs, and creating salad in jars for my lunches. As I was washing dishes around dinner time I started looking for something to eat. The eggs, bacon, and spaghetti squash caught my eye and next thing you know I am chowing down on this great dinner. It was simple and quick but the smokiness of the bacon, the creamy eggs, and the cracked black pepper tossed with the roasted spaghetti squash created a meal worth blogging about! Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Spaghetti Squash Carbonara (1 serving)
  • 2 1/2c Roasted Spaghetti Squash (shredded) (This was 1/4 of a squash for me)
  • 2 pieces bacon, rough chop
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2t red pepper flakes
  • 2TBLSP Parmesan Cheese
  • salt to taste
  • fresh black cracked pepper. A lot.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Start by cooking bacon in the skillet. When it has turned brown and you have bacon grease in the pan, add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute. Add shredded spaghetti squash and toss with bacon and garlic in the pan. Continue to toss until squash is hot and heated through, about two minutes. Turn off heat and add eggs tossing to coat the spaghetti squash and cook the eggs. Add parmesan cheese, salt, and lots of cracked black pepper. Toss to coat squash and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment