12.04.2013

Consumed by books

Happy Thanksgiving! After the fabulous meal with family, I proceeded to pick up three books that consumed my life for the remainder of the holiday. Forget shopping. Thank goodness for pumpkin pie meals and turkey sandwiches, because I spent the weekend reading.

I think there might be a support group I should belong to. Books consume my life support group! Or, more accurately, sometimes books consume my life support group. The ironic thing is that I am currently a librarian. People assume books consume my life, but the truth is I rarely read during the semester. I am just too busy. But when the holidays come, I am lost in the books. I have been like this most of my life.

It might be hard for some to believe, but I had a bit of a reading problem as a young child. My mother took my sisters and I to the library and introduced me to the horse section when this was the case. I was into horses back then. I remember checking out the same book all summer long and after that I became a reader. I would hide in the bathroom for hours reading. I remember a time when my Mom had the policy of a minute of reading earned a minute of TV. The Little Sister and I earned about eight hours worth of TV by reading and then my Mom tried to change the policy to be that you couldn't watch all the TV at once, or something like that. My Little Sister and I can't remember what it was exactly, but we remember feeling like we had been had!

As I have gotten older I have had to compartmentalize my reading. Reading for school or work doesn't consume me. It is just something I need to do. It is easy to read a few chapters and go on with my life. But every once in a while a book will sink it's teeth into me and I can't let go.

A few years ago The Hunger Games did it. A friend had let me borrow it and she needed to return it to the library in a few days time. I had it all weekend and decided to start reading it Sunday night about 10pm. At 4am I finally put it down, woke up at 5am, and finished reading it before work at 8am. It consumed me. I couldn't stop reading it.

This happened again to me over the holiday weekend. I started reading a book at 9pm and finished it at 5am. I guess it is a good thing I am a fast reader. I then passed the book on to the Little Sister and we both read a trilogy over Thanksgiving. The books consumed both of us.

So I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. The books reading happens at a time in my life when I get to relax. I am very good with organizing my time and getting things done if I need to. The book consumption seems to happen when I have the time to let it happen.

Luck for me I have another trilogy lined up for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment