1.31.2014

Year of the Horse: Goals


Happy Chinese New Year!  I am so excited about this year.  I don't know why, but 2014 is going to be fantastic.  I decided. And I am happy to welcome the Year of the Horse!

Every year I find a theme for the year and come up with some goals.  I am not a New Year's Resolution kind of person but I love a good theme party, so why not theme my year?

You can read about my other goals and themes here:

Year of the Snake: goals 2013
Year of the Dragon: goals 2012
Year of the Rabbit: goals 2011
Year of the Tiger: goals 2010
1000 mile challenge 2009

And now at a look at the Year of the Snake goals to see how I did.

1. Slow and Steady weight loss.
-----Yes
I am happy to report that I have been able to mostly keep this goal.  The winter holiday was a bit of a food splurge, and I am up a little more than I would like to be, but I am going to keep moving toward this goal and maybe this year, or next year get to my ideal weight.  I am so close!

2. Year of the Vinaigrette.  Make every vinaigrette in the Modern Sauces book.
-----No
I did not reach this goal.  T and I made a lot of sauces out of this book but there are still recipes to try in the vinaigrette section.  Even though I didn't reach this goal, I am excited for the recipies I did get to make.

3. Italian.  I will keep learning Italian and will continue to take classes.
-----YES!
This goal was a hard one for me but I have really worked toward it.  I am currently taking Italian 3 and going to Italy this summer.  Last fall and summer I was not enrolled in an Italian class but still met a class mate to practice once a week.  I am going to keep working on this goal so I can speak Italian this summer. Va bene!

4. House to Home. Multiple projects in my mind to make the house our home.
-----Yes
Wow.  I worked hard on this goal too!  We worked on our kitchen over the summer and I just painted the inside of our house.  I have been working on the back patio and the orchid wall.  I think I might have found a balance in our house right now because there are only a few details I am thinking about modifying.  T must be happy about that!  Now if he would just finish the house projects he was working on.....

5. Use it or lose it. Using the things I have, or getting rid of them.
-----Yes
I think this goal goes with the House to Home goal. We live in a small place and I have been very good about finding new homes for things I didn't need.  This is one of those on going goals but I have found that I bring less stuff home, so that helps.  

6. Manage my money.
-----Medium
So I think I did okay on this goal, but I can always do better.  I don't get paid over the summer so I need to save up enough money to survive during that time.  I think I would rather thrive than just survive so I could keep working on this goal.

Now on to the goals for this year.  I think I might borrow a few from last year.
  1. Slow and steady weight loss
  2. Keep learning Italian
  3. Manage my money will now become: Save a specific amount of money for a rainy day.
New goals will be coming soon.  I am trying to think of some that I want to do....

So what about this year?  I have a theme:

Surrounded by Inspiration!

This one is easy.  Inspiration is everywhere.  When I open my eyes to look for it, it surrounds me.  I think my goal is more about the keeping my head up and noticing all the amazing things around me.  And creating things to inspire myself. 

What is up with me?!?!? I feel like I am drinking happy juice!  The truth is that last year was a challenge.  T had knee surgery. Work sucked.  And I felt like I was existing sometimes and not living.  Not this year.  This year I am living.  I am surrounding myself with inspiration.  I am opening my eyes to the beauty around me.  It is just waiting for me to be inspired....

No comments:

Post a Comment