5.24.2014

A little wine in Paso Robles

I need to get back on a regular blogging schedule. I blog once a week. It used to be on Fridays. Then my schedule got shifted and I tried to blog on Mondays. But here it is a week later and I am still trying to get my post in..... So here it is!

A little wine in Paso Robles.

Last weekend the Little Sister and I headed up to Paso Robles for a one night stay. We left Southern California at 6am and stopped in Santa Barbara at Crush Cafe for breakfast (thanks Yelp!).
Crush Cafe was so cute! It had Intelligentsia Coffee and a great breakfast burrito. We actually found them by Yelping "breakfast burrito". If in the area, I would eat there again. Cute inside, little patio, and attached to a cake bakery (Crush Cakes). The cupcakes looked amazing.
I have done a few wine trips with the sisters, but this one was a little different. First, it was only the Little Sister and I. Second, we only had one winery to go to each day. It might have been because California was having a crazy heat wave and I wasn't very hungry, or maybe I just wanted to try the wines I wanted to try and not dilute them with too many other wines. If you have gone wine tasting at multiple places, you probably understand what I am talking about.....

The winery for Saturday was Denner Vineyards. The Little Sister had tried their Ditch Digger and it was fabulous, so we decided to taste there. (You need a reservation and a gate code, so contact them ahead of time if you are interested in tasting there).

Denner was a pretty happening place with a big patio with tables and live music. Stations were set up were you could go get your tastings and then enjoy them at your table. The Little Sister and I purchased a cheese plate to go with our wine!
So now a little confession. I had tried the Ditch Digger when the Little Sister purchased it and it was amazing. Like Jack Creek (our only winery where we belong to the "club") amazing. I thought that Denner might be the next place we join the "club" but the wine, the exact same wine, was not as good. It was hot out and the sister and I thought maybe the wine was too warm. Or the bottle opened up too long? We weren't sure. But when we left Denner (with a few bottles of wine) we wished it had blown us away like Jack Creek had done. It was good, just not amazing.

That was okay because for dinner we had reservations at Thomas Hill Organics!
The sisters and I, (well the Middle Sister) found this on our first Paso trip. It was so good we ate dinner there two nights in a row so I was excited to eat there again.
The Little Sister and I decided to split thngs and started with a server recommended bottle of pinot from Thorne (excellent). Then tried the Corn-Coconut Thai soup (flavors didn't really work), the Pizza (Yum) and a duck and glass noodle salad (Yum again!).

The wait staff is fun there and I really enjoyed the outside covered patio. For dessert we tried the Olive Oil cake, Caramel Boudino, and Tres Leche Cake. We didn't finish them, but each bite was delicious.
The next morning I started the day with a run and then the Little Sister and I had smoothies and a few games of Uno at the Amsterdam Coffee House before we headed to Jack Creek for a "Wine Member Family" event.
The Jack Creek event was the whole reason we went on this Paso trip. The winery had raised a cow and was having a burger event for "wine family members. We also got to try some Library Wines and enjoy the day before hitting traffic on the way home.

Our special "Wine Family Member" glasses.

The two of us with our allergy eyes. It was hot and breezy in Paso and my allerigies knew it!


At one point, everyone in the room was wearing stripes but me!

The Little Sister and I had a great weekend in Paso. Next time we want to bring our bikes so we can bike some of the back country wine roads we discovered on this trip! Until then, Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment