7.22.2014

Back home

Back to the good old USA.  We actually got home right before 4th of July because we wanted to be home on America's birthday, but an awful flight home had us having a little more jet lag then normal and I was grateful our neighbors had tons of food because we didn't get our act together in time to try to BBQ.  But I have great neighbors and we got to celebrate the 4th with lots of food and friends and fireworks.  Even if the sisters and T and I were feeling a little out of it it was still fun.

Here is one of my new Italy scarves serving as a top for 4th of July!

One thing I did do right away was head to a Farmer's Market.  The food in Italy was good, but the summer fruit in California is a symphony this time of year.  The flavors are so intense and amazing.  My favorite, white nectarines, were at their sweetest and my hands were sticky with their juice before I even made it home.  Cantaloupe everyday until I ran out.  Cherries.  Summer squash noodles and shishito pepper blistered and served with beer.  Quickly we transitioned off the pasta and back to the garden of California.

And another trip to the Farmer's Market... totally loving Persian cucumbers right now! T is having a thing for apricots...

And we also transitioned back to eating alfresco on the back patio.  But this time, I noticed a bit more wine accompanied dinner.  Here is dinner on the 5th of July.... Chorizo and Clams.  Similar recipe from Tyler Florence HERE.  This is so good.  Especially when eaten crusty bread and white wine. It was good to be home and cooking again.  

1 comment: