10.12.2014

Bainbridge Island and Seattle

This past weekend the sisters, T, my Mom, and my Uncle B all traveled to Bainbridge Island, WA to stay with my Aunt and Uncle and cousins who live in the Pacific Northwest. The weather was beautiful. Food delicious. And we all had a great time. Fall was in the air and I was excited to escape the heat wave we were having in Southern California.

This adventure happened because of a group text back in July that included pictures of an amazing dinner the Pacific Northwest Aunt and Uncle were having. Somewhere in the text an invitation was offered for dinner. Multiple dates were tried and eventually it looked like only T and my Mom and I would be going. But then the sisters could maike it and then Uncle B. The whole family made the trip and I was greatful to the Light Rail and Ferry System so we could all make it to Bainbridge Island without multiple airport pick-ups.

Photo of the Light Rail stop at Pioneer Square. The buses and the Light Rail both use this stop!


Ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge. Cars laoding and then us watching Seattle shrink on the way to Bainbridge.


One of my cousins works at a shellfish hatchery and my Aunt had a fresh crab connection so our dinner the first night was fabulous! Steamed mussels, crab, salad from the garden, apple crumble (made with apples from the tree) and lots of wine!

Interesting fact about mussels. Did you know the orangish colored muscles are female?


After dinner we all watched a movie together and slowly turned in for the night.

The next day I woke up early for a run and then we had Crab Egg Benedict for breakfast! So good. I lived on Bainbridge Island in 2000 and ran to Battle Point Park back then too!

So a cool thing about the Island. When students are seniors in high school, the junior class goes around and puts encouraging sayings on the street in front fo the senior's home. It so cool to drive / run around the island and see.

And here is the amazing Crab Eggs Benedict! Frest crab. Cooked that morning.

The day got away from us a bit, but we visited the hatchery my cousin works at and a few port towns.


One of my favorite memories of this trip was sitting on the back porch with the family watching the sun desend toward the Olympic Mountains. T was flying his helicopter, we were chatting with a glass of wine or beer. My Aunt had some sort of cheese and cracker plate going around and it was just amazingly beautiful to sit on the puget sound and end the day. We did it everynight.



The next day my Mom and Sisters were leaving so we spent a little time in Seattle after putting my Mom on the Light Rail toward the airport. I took them to my favorite bakery, Piroski Piroski, we walked around Pike's Place Market, and the city a bit. My youngest cousin works and lives in Seattle and she and I took the ferry back to Bainbridge Island together for dinner with the family and the next day T and I spent a misty morning in Seattle with Uncle B eating at a few bakeries before flying home.

It feels a bit indulgent to take a trip like this. But at the end of the day I think it is important to spend time with family and live the life you want. I want a life filled with no regrets. When I look back, I want to be able to say I took risks, stopped to smell the flowers, and made a difference in my own life. So far I can, and little trips like this are just another brick in my path! It turns out I am pretty good at laying bricks and have a few more weekend adventures coming up. October is going to be a busy month!

No comments:

Post a Comment