10.02.2014

Sur La Table cooking class: Cuban Favorites Inspired by the movie "Chef"

Last night the Little Sister and I went to a cooking class at our local Sur La Table called Cuban Favorites Inspired by the movie "Chef". Have you seen this movie? I love it! It involves food and a fun cast of characters. When the Little Sister called me about this class I was in! Especially becasue it included the DVD.
The Little Sister has taken a few cooking classes here before, but this was my first time. When I lived in San Luis Obispo in the early 2000's I spent over a year volunteering at a Central Coast Culinary. I volunteered about once a week and learned a lot from Debbie Duggan (side note: T and I were in the Central Coast area last summer for a wedding and ran into her at our favorite restaurant Taco Temple!). Volunteering at the cooking school involved a lot of prep and sometimes some cooking. I was one of Debbie's "go to" volunteers early on because I would read the whole recipe before starting it. She said it was one of the things she noticed about me right away. That and probably that I asked questions when I didn't understand something. Like what does it mean to chiffonade basil.... I learned a lot at Central Coast Cullinary and looking back, realize it was one of the highlights of of my time there. T and I earned our degrees at Cal Ploy SLO and then we lived and worked there for three years afterwards. It was a fun time in our life...

Fast forward to the current fun times in our lives, and I found myself at my first cooking class in a long time. The structure of the class was simular to what I was used to with the Chef (Chef Ben) doing most of the cooking, but Sur La Table has the people taking the class work in teams (the Little Sister and I were with Erin and Ben) as we prepped the recipes for the night.


There were sixteen people in our class (it sold out) and one of them was the manager of Sur La Table. I figured out she worked there when she knew some extra details about the cookware. The Middle Sister used to work at Williams Sonoma and knew the same kind of details. The manager, Caroline, was awesome and when the class took a break the Little Sister and I enjoyed talking with her.

As I mentioned above, the Little Sister had taken some classes at Sur La Table before. Our class was different than the classes I was used to at Central Coast Culinary in SLO, but she said on our break that it was different from the other classes she had taken as well. The adjective I would use would be disorganized. But not really disorganized, just a little, like the Chef and kitchen assistants were trying to get in their groove. As a person who teaches for a living, I can totally understand this. When we came back after our break things went much more smoothly. As most of the prep was done, we got to the cooking and eating part! Our class created an assembly line to make our Cubanos (Cubanos recipe HERE!)

The Little Sister and our team of Erin and Ben were in charge of buttering and grilling the bread.

I was with another Elizabeth and we were the mustard girls. On down the line until the sandwiches were grilled and ready to eat!


We served them with Yucca Fries with Banana Ketchup. The Cubanos were amazing and the beignets for dessert were a perfect way to end the night.
I had a great time and I will be taking another class in the future. I love to eat and these classes are all about that! We left with all the recipies from the class, our Chef DVD, and a coupon for 10% our next cooking class. All in all, it was an evening well spent!

The only thing missing was a glass of wine.....maybe next time.....

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment