12.21.2014

December Solstice 2014

Happy December Solstice 2014!  In the Northern Hemisphere we call it the Winter Solstice and it is the day with the shortest amount of daylight.  In the Southern Hemisphere it is the Summer Solstice with the day with the most amount of daylight.  For this reason people call it the December Solstice because it is a solstice in both hemispheres.  Looks like I DID learn something in geography....

In honor of the short amount of daylight we will have today, I slept in and waited until the sun was up before getting out of bed.  This is not a usual occurrence for me. I usually am up before the sun and have seen more sunrises than sunsets in recent years.  I still deny being a "morning person" because I am not a very happy person in the morning, just someone who happens to get up early.  Like most people who work....

Now that I think about it, maybe I should have watched the sunrise today...because the pagan solstice is about the rebirth of the sun, but I think today is when they celebrate the rebirth starting tomorrow because the daylight starts to lengthen again tomorrow.  So a sunset tonight and a sunrise tomorrow should be just fine.

But T and I did celebrate life with an amazing Prime Rib feast last night with old friends and fabulous weather.  I think we should make it a tradition.

Do you have December Solstice traditions, or are the holidays tradition enough for most of us?



No comments:

Post a Comment