5.24.2015

I like to eat more than I like to cook

Sweet potato hash
I heard something recently that rang true for me. It was along the lines of "I like to eat more than I like to cook". I think I was listening to a Nom Nom Paleo podcast on my drive home from work and Michelle Tam said something along those lines and I thought, "That's me!". I cook because I love to eat, not because I love to cook. I had never really thought of it before, and it gave me permission to admit that I don't always like cooking.

During the school year I cook A LOT. I leave the house at 7am and get home at 7pm. Five days a week I am up at 4:30am to run or take hot yoga classes. On Sunday I prep my meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for four and a half days. Each morning during the week I pack two to three meals. By the time summer break comes, I am kind of over cooking.

The weekend "Meal Prep" is a great idea and it keeps me in healthy meals. I don't really eat processed foods so I am usually making roasted chicken or carnitas and then packing fruits and veggies in my meals. Hard boiled eggs are a staple and I've been making smoothies with coconut water, frozen fruit, and a raw egg for an after hot yoga breakfast in the car..... Yep, raw egg.....
Recenlty I started making Sweet Potato Hash and am loving it. During the week it was great with lunch and on the weekends it is fabulous with a fried egg. It works with the "Meal Prep" because everything is chopped and tossed and then baked as a big batch. It is also one of the things I love to eat right now so it is worth cooking.

This hash can be modified in any way you would like. I have made it with shallots, herbs, etc. Currently I am liking the onion and mushroom combination below. The recipe makes about two servings, but you can always double or triple it!

Sweet Potato Hash with Onions and Mushrooms
  • 1 sweet potato diced
  • 1/2 onion rough chop
  • 8 mushrooms quartered
  • bacon grease or olive oil to toss
  • salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Toss sweet potato, onion, and mushrooms with bacon grease or olive oil on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Place in oven and stir every 15 minutes. Cooking times vary based on size of the sweet potato chop, but I usually cook mine for 45 minutes.

Eat right away or save for meals later in the week. Can be eaten cold or reheated in a fry pan. Enjoy.
Sweet potato hash and egg

No comments:

Post a Comment