7.10.2015

Waterfalls in Iceland

Seljalandsfoss, Iceland
Seljalandsfoss, Iceland
















**This is part of my Iceland adventure in June 2015.  Read more about it HERE.**

Waterfalls in Iceland.

There are over 5000 waterfalls in Iceland and on my recent adventure with GeoTours (geotours.us) it seemed like we might try to stop at all of them. Which is kind of a shame because after awhile I may or may not have gotten over stopping at waterfalls.  Even though they were beautiful, a girl can only take so much jumping on and off a bus to take a picture of a waterfall.

Lesson for next time: less waterfalls, or more time at waterfalls to be able to explore them.  The whole jump off, take a photo, jump on the bus thing was not my style.  But we did see a lot of waterfalls, as the Middle Sister and I highlight in the video below.

The "good news" is that most of the main touristy waterfalls are accessible by car with a short walk to the waterfall.  The bad news about this is that a lot of people are at the waterfalls and parking could take a little time.  Keep in mind that the tourist industry in Iceland has increased 100% in recent years, but compared to places like Paris and Florence it is not that crowded...until you get to a waterfall with a small parking lot.  Be warned.  But know parking opens up.

FYI:  Foss=waterfall in Icelandic.

Some of the waterfalls we stopped at included:

Gullfoss.  Described as the Niagara Falls of Iceland.  This is one of the stops on the Golden Circle of Iceland if you are doing that day trip out of Reykjavik.
Gullfoss, Iceland

Seljalandsfoss.  Famous because you can walk behind it. Notice the parking lot...
Seljalandsfoss, Iceland

Skogafoss.  I wish we had more time to explore this one...
Skogafoss, Iceland
Photo by Matt Ebiner
Surprise waterfall stop from Gisli the bus driver.  I think he called it Dead Body Waterfall.
Dead body waterfall? Iceland

Svartifoss in Vatnajokull National Park.  See the basalt columns?  They were everywhere in Iceland.

Another random waterfall stop.  I shot this from the bus.  It was cold out!
No name waterfall. Iceland

This waterfall was below Dettifoss and Selfoss.
Waterfall below Dettifoss. Iceland

Godsfalls in Northern Iceland.  I think I liked this one the most.


And the second Gisli (bus driver) surprise that also had a waterfall - Kolufossar.

The Middle Sister and I started calling these stops "Another Beautiful Waterfall" as a spin off of an ABC (another beautiful church) from my Russia trip.  So when someone told me Iceland has over 5000 waterfalls, I believe them!

The Middle Sister and I were making short videos we posted for our family during this trip and below I have put together all the videos we made when we stopped at a waterfall.  


Waterfalls in Iceland - June 2015 from everyAugust on Vimeo.

Can you tell we saw a lot of waterfalls.

Next time I go to Iceland I hope to find some of the waterfalls off the beaten path, to have more time to enjoy the waterfalls I visit, and to even camp near some of them.  What do you think of the waterfalls in Iceland?  Do you have a favorite or one you recommend?  Let me know so I can check it out next time I visit Iceland.

-elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. That is a lot of waterfalls in your video!!! Beautiful, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! And we didn't film at all of them either. Wish I had more time to explore some of them....

      Delete