12.19.2015

Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore

Winter has made an appearance in Southern California and frost was on the roof one morning this week during my run. The early morning family workers have reported temperatures in the high 30’s and I have looked like a snowman with all my layers when I head to work. Just a few more days until the Winter Solstice and it is time for cozy comfort food.

This week it was Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore.

It was finals week at work and I wanted something easy for T and I for dinner. I pulled out the Art of the SLOW COOKER cookbook by Andrew Schloss, that I love, and decided to try Chicken Cacciatore. The prep work took about a half hour and then I cooked it on high for four hours while I enjoyed the boat parade with the family. I let it sit in the fridge the next day (the author recommends this) and served it over quinoa that night with some Kitchen Sink red wine.

T loved it! He was going to have a beer with dinner and I said I thought the red wine was the better option. I was right. It complemented the robust flavors of the dish and brought out the earthiness of the mushrooms. I was not as in love with the dish as T was, but thought it was good. I think the quinoa might of made it a little too heavy for me. The author recommends rice or noodles, but I was trying to be healthier. I think it would be perfect if we started with a salad dressed with olive oil and lemon and then served the Cacciatore with some crusty bread and red wine. If it was a fancy dinner, some sort of baked apple dessert would be a good finish. I am working on being mostly paleo, so I might modify a few things for my individual plate, but I will make this one again. Especially as the days get colder…..

Do you have any cold weather slow cooker recipes you recommend? Let me know in the comments!

Stay cozy this holiday!

-elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment