11.02.2016

September Whole30. Or 4th time's a charm

Greetings from Richmond, VA.  I am currently here for work and I find it kind of ironic that I am writing about my September Whole30 because it is always hard to eat clean, whole30-ish, when at a conference.  But it is always about doing the best you can and that is what I am doing…… mostly.

The September Whole30 was my fourth time completing a Whole30 and this time it kind of clicked.  Fourth time's a charm I guess.  I did it on my own.  No buddy system and T for sure was not part of it.  Remember he started this Whole30 thing originally? He has adopted this philosophy that the Whole30 is more extreme and that it is not needed to do more than once.  When I do it he always tells me this and this time was no change.  So I was solo, but it was fine.

This month wasn't hard.  I skimmed It Starts with Food to review the basics and started on September 1st.  I got the usual hard time about not drinking wine, but at the end of the month I had lost 7 pounds and was feeling pretty good.  

When the month was over I kind of decided to keep it going.  I actually got a little push back from some people in my life and I said, "I feel good and lost weight.  I am not asking you to change anything.  Just support me."  I was kind of surprised actually by a few comments but everyone got on board. I tried to quietly adopt it as a lifestyle and not make a big deal out of it. I work my way around food when out, and if I can't, I just eat and move on.

After this Whole30 I REALLY noticed how food made me feel.

This was kind of the 4th time's a charm thing.  When I do a Whole30 I am 100% committed.  When this one ended I would have something that was not Whole30 approved and really notice how it made me feel.  Bread one day at a picnic.  So full and bloated I couldn't eat the rest of the day.  Chocolate - peanut butter pie (I KNOW!) a little acid-reflux-ish.  Red wine.  Fine as long as I had a lot of water.  A little dairy?  Jury is still out.  

After finishing this Whole30, I have noticed how food makes me feel.  Like really feel!  And that has made me aware of food at a different level.  A level I am happy to be aware of.  I believe that our bodies are our temples and our health starts with food.  I also think that we are all different and that what works for me, might not work for you.  You can ask me about what I am eating, and I am happy to tell you. But I know we are all different and different things work for all of us.  As long as the food you eat makes you feel healthy and strong, you are good to go.  If it doesn't it might be time to look into that and find some different things to eat.  Because at the end of the day,  our health really does start with what we eat.

Bon appetite!
-elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. I love that you've learned more about how your body responds to food during the Whole 30. Sounds like you've found a good balance of how to navigate food choices while eating out!

    I've had 100 oz every day this week. One more day to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a water rockstar! Great job. I wonder if this whole food balance thing has to do with getting older...Hello 40!

      Delete