12.30.2016

Slow Cooker Freezer Meals and how they saved Christmas

Frozen slow cooker meals and how they saved Christmas!

And when I say "saved Christmas" I am speaking figuratively (not literally).

The story goes like this:

On a dark and stormy night T and I were discussing holiday plans which included a trip to Mammoth where we would be joined by his brother Jay and then his other brother and his wife and two kids. Jay, T, and I would be staying with the Fish-whisperer and his wife and the other brother and family had rented a place in town. We were all arriving and leaving at different times. T was talking about making crock-pot meals that would be easy cook and eat. I was on board and took it upon myself to shop and prep everything. Mistake number one because it ended up taking me almost four hours to prep everything by myself. T has said he will help next time….but all that prep work paid off and slow cooker freezer meals were a hit AND success.

Here are the ones I used (thank you Pinterest!):

Seven nights of meals and they worked out so well. The slow cooker meals from sixsistersstuff.com were freezer meals that you prep ahead of time and put in a gallon size zip-lock bag in the freezer on a cookie sheet to freeze flat. The other slow cooker meals were not freezer meals, but I turned them into them. I prepped the recipes as much as I could, including browning meat and making sauces like the mole for the chicken, before cooling everything and placing it in zip-lock bags to freeze with everything else. A few nights I made casseroles to go with the meals because I wanted to make sure there was enough food and the Fish-whisperer’s wife made some rice and salad on a few nights. We fed between 6-10 people with these meals each night and except for the long prep work to make the freezer meals, everything was really easy. The trick was to put a meal in the fridge for 24 hours and then cook it. I would pull something out of the freezer in the morning before snowboarding and put whatever the meal for that night was in the slow cooker on low before leaving. The few times I forgot I would call the house to see if someone could start the slow cooker for me. So it was a circle of freezer to fridge to slow cooker over a 24 hour period. It made the holidays a lot less stressful and saved Christmas because everyone had spent the day skiing and we got to come home to a hot meal with minimal work!

Slow cooker freezer meals are awesome and are going to become staples in our winter snow activities and in our slow cooker at home. If you have any recipies you think we should try, please tell us about them in the comments below!

If you are new to Slow Cooker Freezer Meals (like I was) I HIGHLY recommned reading this blog post from Six Sisters Stuff to get you started. It was the post that pushed me down the rabbit hole with Alice. Slow Cooker Freezer Meals: Make 8 meals in 1 hour.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment